by MATTHEW HOLT
Yesterday Catalyst @ Well being 2.0 hosted the finals of the RWJF Emergency Response Challenges, one for instruments for the Basic Public and the opposite for the Well being System. It was a fantastic session, sadly digital and never at a convention with cocktails afterwards. However the promise of the instruments which were constructed as a part of these challenges is immense within the battle in opposition to this COVID-19 pandemic and those but to come back.
The finalists for the Basic Public problem have been
- Binformed Covidata– A clinically-driven complete desktop + cellular infectious illness, epidemic + pandemic administration device concentrating on suppression and containment of ailments equivalent to COVID-19. The presenter was veteran well being IT knowledgeable Rick Peters.
- CovidSMS– A textual content message-based platform offering city-specific info and assets to assist low-income communities endure COVID-19. In distinction to Rick, CovidSMS’ staff have been undergraduates at Johns Hopkins led by Serena Wang
- Recent EBT by Propel– A know-how device for SNAP households to deal with meals insecurity & financial vulnerability in occasions of disaster – highlighted by Michael Lewis on his In opposition to the Guidelines podcast about teaching earlier this 12 months. Stacey Taylor, head of partnerships for Propel introduced their options for these in determined want.
The finalists for the Well being System problem have been
- PathCheck– A non revenue simply spun out of MIT. It has a raft of volunteers and well-known advisors like John Brownstein and John Halamka amongst many others, and is already working with a number of states and international locations. Pathcheck supplies privateness first, free, open supply options for public well being to complement guide contact tracing, visualize scorching spots, and interface with citizen-facing privateness first apps. MIT Professor Ramesh Raskar was the presenter.
- Qventus– A affected person stream automation resolution that applies AI / ML and behavioral science to assist well being methods create efficient capability, and scale back frontline burnout. Qventus is a good knowledge analytics startup story. It’s raised over $45m and has a lot of well being system purchasers, they usually have constructed a set of recent instruments to assist them with pandemic preparedness. Anthony Moorman, who gained the most effective facial hair of the day award, confirmed the demo.
- Tiatros Inc– A psychological well being and social assist platform that mixes scientific experience, peer communities and scalable know-how to advance psychological wellbeing and to maintain significant behavioral change. They’ve finished a number of work with troopers with PTSD and as you’ll see entered this problem to get their instruments to a different group of extraordinarily burdened professionals–frontline well being care employees. CEO Kimberlie Cerrone and COO Seth Norman collectively introduced.
Movies of the entire session and the demos will likely be up quickly.
And the winners have been…
A tie in Basic Public problem between CovidSMS & BInformed, who cut up the $25,000 first prize (and the $10,000 second prize!)
Qventus within the Well being System problem who take house $25,000
However there have been no losers. An awesome end result of a number of work to get tech options to assist us take care of the pandemic.
Matthew Holt is Writer of THCB and likewise Co-Chairman at Catalyst @ Well being 2.0