Right here’s our recap of the previous week in the coronavirus pandemic from our monitoring, coverage evaluation, polling, and journalism.
As we head into the week of Thanksgiving, the U.S. noticed a rise of over 1.1 million instances and about 7,300 deaths.
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s high infectious illness professional, talked to KHN Editor-in-Chief Elisabeth Rosenthal about whether or not it was secure to journey over the vacations, the way to survive the approaching winter months, whether or not People can belief the vaccine approval course of, and the way exhausting it’s when folks insist that the coronavirus disaster is “faux information.” A column is offered at KHN.org and in The New York Instances. Take heed to full audio of the interview right here.
Extra states are enacting measures to curtail the unfold of the coronavirus as instances surge throughout the nation. A Coverage Watch submit finds thirty-one states have imposed new restrictions because the starting of November.
In the meantime as hopes of profitable coronavirus vaccines rise, states have been submitting vaccine distribution plans to the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention. An evaluation of those plans reveal that states are in varied phases of preparedness. Whereas some have been engaged on the problems for a number of months, others began rather more not too long ago. The challenges for states embrace persuading those who the vaccines are secure, efficient and wanted, figuring out who will get immunized first, and lining up suppliers to ship the injections.
Firstly of this week, KFF President and CEO Drew Altman analyzed election 2020 exit polls and wrote a few key coronavirus pandemic problem dealing with President-elect Biden. “Exit polls present that when President Trump accused Democrats of exaggerating the gravity of the COVID-19 pandemic his supporters believed him…It leaves the Biden administration with an enormous public re-education problem in crimson America and amongst Trump supporters in each state,” he writes.
Listed below are the newest coronavirus stats from KFF’s monitoring sources:
International Circumstances and Deaths: Complete instances worldwide reached 56.9 million this week – with a rise of over 4 million new confirmed instances prior to now seven days. There have been over 66,000 new confirmed deaths worldwide, bringing the full for confirmed deaths previous 1.3 million.
U.S. Circumstances and Deaths: Complete confirmed instances within the U.S. handed 11.7 million this week. There was an improve of over 1.1 million confirmed instances between November 12 and November 19. Roughly 9,300 confirmed deaths prior to now week introduced the full in the USA to 252,500.
State Social Distancing Actions (contains Washington D.C.) that went into impact this week:
Extensions: AK, CO, GA, HI, MO, WY
New Restrictions: AR, CA, IN, IA, KY, MI, MT, NH, NJ, NM, ND, OH, OK, OR, RI, WA
New Face Overlaying Requirement: MT, NH, OK
Enhanced Face Overlaying Requirement: HI, MS
The newest KFF COVID-19 sources:
- States Are Getting Able to Distribute COVID-19 Vaccines. What Do Their Plans Inform Us So Far? (Information Launch, Difficulty Transient)
- Vaccine Protection, Pricing, and Reimbursement within the U.S. (Difficulty Transient)
- The Exit Polls Present The Want To Confront COVID-19 Denial in Purple America (Perspective)
- With COVID-19 Circumstances Surging Once more, States Are Taking Motion, Although Present Efforts Might Not Be Sufficient to Cease the Unfold (Coverage Watch)
- Dec. 3 Internet Briefing: What Occurs As soon as There’s a COVID-19 Vaccine? Key Challenges to Vaccinating America (Occasion)
- Up to date: Value-Sharing Waivers and Premium Aid by Non-public Plans in Response to COVID-19 (Difficulty Transient)
- Up to date: At-House SARS-CoV-2 Testing: What Are the Choices? (Interactive)
- Up to date: A Have a look at On-line Platforms for Contraceptive and STI Companies through the COVID-19 Pandemic (Difficulty Transient)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Tracker – Up to date as of November 19 (Interactive)
- State Information and Coverage Actions to Handle Coronavirus (Interactive)
- New Outcomes Present 95% Efficacy For Pfizer-BioNTech Coronavirus Vaccine, No Critical Facet Results; Creating Nations To Argue For Patent Suspensions Of Vaccines At WTO Assembly (KFF Each day International Well being Coverage Report)
The newest KHN COVID-19 tales:
- Authorities-Funded Scientists Laid the Groundwork for Billion-Greenback Vaccines (KFF, Scientific American)
- Lengthy-Time period Care Staff, Grieving and Beneath Siege, Brace for COVID’s Subsequent Spherical (KHN, CNN)
- Anger After North Dakota Governor Asks COVID-Optimistic Well being Workers to Keep on Job (KHN, The Guardian)
- Public Well being Packages See Surge in College students Amid Pandemic (KHN, AP)
- Homeless Shelters Grapple With COVID Security as Chilly Creeps In (KHN)
- Fb Dwell: Serving to COVID’s Secondary Victims: Grieving Households and Mates (KHN)
- Misplaced on the Frontline: New This Week (KHN, The Guardian)
- As Broad Shutdowns Return, Weary Californians Ask ‘Is This the Greatest We Can Do?’ (KHN)
- Take It From an Skilled: Fauci’s Hierarchy of Security Throughout COVID (KHN, New York Instances)
- KHN’s ‘What the Well being?’: What Would Dr. Fauci Do? (KHN)
- Trump’s Lame-Duck Standing Leaves Governors to Wing It on COVID (KHN, Lee Enterprises)
- Worry of Flying Is a COVID-Period Conundrum (KHN, US Information)
- Folks Proving to Be Weakest Hyperlink for Apps Monitoring COVID Publicity (KHN)
- These Entrance-Line Staff Might Have Retired. They Risked Their Lives As an alternative. (KHN, The Guardian)
- States’ Face-Overlaying Mandates Go away Gaps in Safety (KHN, Los Angeles Instances)
- Surging LA (CHL)